Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Personality Type

Today a friend of mine asked me what personality type I am. By that I am talking about the INTP, ESTJ, INFJ, etc. This popular personality test and labeling has been around for a long time. The first time I did it was maybe around 2002. Basically they divide all human beings into 2^4 = 16 different types of people. Each of the 4 letters can have one of two values:

Introvert / Extravert
iNtuitive / Sensor
Thinker / Feeler
Judger / Perceiver

Each of the four terms characterize a person's behavior in a general but distinct way. You can go to
one of those websites to see what each term means. I think they do a good job categorizing people, but they also seem to use this as a great marketing scheme to sell their related books that can tell you what career is good for you, what kind of mate is a better match, and how to treat your children of a particular type. Although some of the arguements are plausible, I think people should be cautious about getting influenced too much by labeling people as a certain type. I think the human race is more complicated than 2^4.

Lastly, just for the record, my type is ISTP, which means I direct my energy inwards, notices facts & details, makes logical decisions, like to be flexible, curious, and nonconforming.

3 comments:

Jenn Zhao said...

Wow, i'm like the total opposite of you. ENTJ... LOL

Jenn Zhao said...

no, wait, i mean ENFJ... that is the total opposite.

Paul Chen said...

I know, that's so weird.